Blah Blah

Friday, May 02, 2008

Mumbai Local

Mumbai locals hold a whole world inside

Today morning I met an old sister. She asked me if ladies compartment stops at certain place. I wasn't sure coz I'm not used to trains so much.
I told her a tentative spot. After buying a newspaper I saw her reaching the spot with another lady.
I smiled with the sister and stood there. The lady, in her late 30s stood without any expression.
In Mumbai people don't speak to each other very easily. Not for any other reason but I guess the minds are already so crowded, people find it difficult to it. Why would anyone like add another thing to think for.
Three of us stood there without saying a word. in our own thoughts.
In-between unconsciously somehow I looked at the face of the lady. There was a tear in it. And she was trying her best to stop it.
It fell down and she wiped her eye.
Yeah, in another open world I would've gone and held her by her shoulder and asked her if everything was ok. And in another world she wud've spoken heart to me too...
In this world I gave her some space by not looking at her...

In the train I helped the old sister to get a seat and carried her bag in, which was a bit heavy.

As the women started pouring in on each station, the sister was getting worried about how she'll get down. I assured her I would help her.

I asked her what she does.
She doesn't do anything now. She can't see properly. Can't read, can't see faces clearly and can't even stitch a button on her dress. So now she takes care of the garden. And she prays. For all the people of this world.

I wish she has the lady in her prayers today.

***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home